Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Blog #1: Respect

Respect: First of all I think it is important to define the difference between "having respect" (for someone or something), and "showing respect" (particularly to people). "Having respect" for someone or something constitutes reverence or admiration, and for a specific reason. For example, I have a huge amount of respect for the runners of a marathon because I believe it is an incredible feat to use the human body in that way. On the other hand, I cannot, in my mind/heart, respect an opinion that women, as a gender, are weaker than men. This definition of "having respect" for someone or something is purely internal and involves a person's own morals and values. "Showing respect," however, is one's outward behavior that is independent from one's own opinions (having or not having respect for something). This form of respect is unconditional and should be exhibited toward all human beings. Although I may not respect a person's opinion that women are inferior to men, its is my duty as a human being to treat that person kindly, as I would someone that I have respect for. Easier said than done! I feel that it is important to recognize the difference between having and showing respect because it protects one's right to hold opinions and values, but maintains the expectation that outward projections of kindness and goodwill (as cheesy as that sounds) that would be shown to all people.

In this way, respect within a classroom is a very important topic. All throughout school I have listened to lessons on respect; what it is, what it looks like, what does it mean. It goes without saying that teachers should show respect to their students and vice versa. However, I think it is equally important that students respect each other. Students need to know that it is okay for them to disagree with their classmates, but that it is NOT okay to act unkindly to a classmate. Depending on the age of the students, this type of lesson might be more or less appropriate.

Throughout all of the schooling I have had, it seems that students respecting teachers has been the least of all respect issues. Most of the time, kids are used to respecting their teachers (especially if their parents have instilled principles of respect at home). It's something you learn as a kid: if a person is older than you, you need to show them respect. I think some of the biggest problems come from teachers not respecting students. The issue of teachers not respecting students usually looks different than when students don't respect each other. Teachers don't usually call their students "buttheads" or "stupid," teachers show disrespect in other ways. In my opinion, assigning unrealistic amounts of homework to students is disrespectful, as is taking off lots of points for small errors on assignments/tests. Also, failure to communicate with students in a mature way (usually in person) is disrespectful. I had an educator email me once about several flaws he/she saw in my character on the basis of a complete misunderstanding. The criticism itself was disrepectful (especially considering it was mistaken) and the form in which it was communicated (via email) was disrespectful as well. (That is not to say email is a disrespectful form of communication, but that important matters and problems should be discussed in person, or at least by phone, in my opinion).

As in chapter one, the teacher sets the presedence. If a teacher is respectful to his/her students, the chances that students will respect their teacher and each other is much greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment